Thursday, September 20, 2012

Ready to go , Steel Cut Oats




Frankly, I couldn't believe that something reheated the next morning or a couple days after could taste just as good- if not better than fresh! I make this once a week and place each portion into bowls or containers.

Essentially, this is a recipe for perfect Steel Cut Oatmeal. You can add whatever you want to it, though i suggest adding berries, 1/2 chopped apple, 1/2 chopped banana, 1/2 chopped peach, and 8-10 nuts (whichever you prefer with each respected fruit). You can also add peanut butter to the banana (this is my 13 year old brother's favorite). I eat this every other day to gain some variety in my diet but eat it as you wish. This breakfast will get your body going with plenty of fiber, whole grains, calcium, protein, vitamins, and minerals from the fruit. Don't skimp on carbs in the morning... You need to replenish your blood glucose levels after a night of 'fasting'. It's HEALTHY.

Why not instant oatmeal or rolled oats? Steel Cut gives you a heartier texture, more fiber, and more nutrients all around because it's closer to the natural form of the grain. Using equal parts water to milk helps to achieve the creamiest and lowest calorie oatmeal with added Calcium.

In regards to sweeteners... I don't sweeten my oatmeal. I 'weened' myself off of it. It's possible, I promise. However, a teaspoon or two isn't going to kill you; so go for it if that's what you like. Besides, the fiber from the oats will slow down the absorption of the added sugar to the blood stream.


Ready to Go
Steel Cut Oatmeal

Makes 4 servings

1 cup Steel Cut Oats
2 cup almond milk 
2 cups water
(optional) 4 teaspoons cinnamon (I love this)
1/2 cup fruit (1 for each bowl)
7-10 nuts of your choice (I like pecans, slivered almonds, GROUND flax seeds, or chia seeds) (for each bowl)

Bring Oats, Milk, and water to a boil. Reduce heat to Low (add cinnamon here) and simmer covered for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally. Turn the heat off and divide into four portions of approximately 3/4 cups. Add fruit and nuts to each bowl and cover when cooled. Place in refrigerator. In the morning, microwave until heated through. If the oats are too stiff add another 1/4 cup water and stir. 

I really like Bananas, pecans, and cinnamon. When you heat it up in the morning the Bananas almost disappear into the oatmeal and it tastes and smells like Banana Bread!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Larisa, I have been trying plain steel cut oats in the microwave due to time constraints, but I have problems if I I don't soak them overnight. They seem to boil over and get a bit thick. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine, i've never made steel cut oats in the microwave. If you are short on time i would try 'cracked oats'. You can get a massive bag at costco for 5 bucks! they have the same texture as steel cut oats and cook in three minutes... it's crazy.

      Otherwise, i would make 4 servings of steel cut oats on a day you have time and keep it all in the fridge. When you are ready just scoop what you want in a bowl, add some milk, warm in the mircowave, and add the toppings! I do this whether its with steel cut oats or cracked oats (on the stove) just so i don't have to wash a pot so many times. Sorry, i couldn't be more help! thanks!

      Delete

What do you think? Leave me a comment!

What do you want to see more of on 'Model Eats Blog?'