Thursday, June 6, 2013

Homemade Almond Milk

We all have bittersweet memories of junior high, high school, or both (at least I hope I'm not alone, feel free to share). I started out seventh grade with a problem with school lunch. Not by choice, I couldn't keep it down. Any of it. You can imagine how awesome junior high was when every 5th or 6th period I would sprint to the bathroom. My doctor gave me Lactaid pills and I stopped vomiting and started on nausea! Good-bye Dairy.

As a boring side note... did you know that 80% of America Is Lactose Intolerant  Stunning!

Anyway, I'm a huge fan of Almond Milk and after I couldn't find a single brand that didn't include 'Careegan' (a carcinogen (something that causes cancer)), I decided to make my own.


Homemade Almond Milk

1 cup almonds (soaked overnight and rinsed)
4 cups of filtered water

Place the almonds and water in a good quality blender and blend till smooth. If you have a Blendtec simply hit the 'Whole Juice' button. Strain the 'milk' through cheese cloth or a fine mesh strainer. The mixture will be foamy and you may have to help push it through or leave it to strain for an hour. Place back in your blender and pulse to combine. The almond milk will keep for up to three days in the refrigerator.

Optional: add stevia or vanilla to get the same effect of a 'Blue Diamond Vanilla' etc. I love a shake of almond milk, vanilla, coconut flakes, and stevia. xox


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Leave me a comment!

What do you want to see more of on 'Model Eats Blog?'