Thursday, June 21, 2012

Double Chocolate Cookies.


Sometimes I wonder when i learned to deal with stress by baking. Maybe it was when my parents decided to ground me for 2 months and forbid me to see my friends/boyfriend. That was probably it, nothing to do but bake and eat. That. must. be. it. Thanks Mom and Dad. I guess it's healthier than some other popular alternatives. 

At 11 p.m last night, I climbed out of bed and started baking Giada's, 'Double Espresso Chocolate Cookies'. I realized that three ingredients in this cookie were just going to further my frustration when my sleep was inhibited in 2 hours time: Espresso Beans, Chocolate, and Sugar. I could never deprive myself of actual Chocolate/Sugar (in my case honey granules), so 'good-bye' espresso beans.

A la... Chocolate Cookies. These things are like brownies but cookies. My little sister makes great ones. Mine can't compare, it must be that silpat (if you have it-use it). Ignore my lack of cleanliness, as well as the absence of real spatula's/spoons.


Melt the chocolate and butter over a double broiler. Be careful not to get any water in the bowl as the chocolate will sometimes curdle -yuck. It should be glossy and smooth. (notice my awesome spoon i'm  baking with)


 Then in two separate bowls mix the dry and wet.

add the dry into the wet in 3 parts.
Then fold in your melted chocolate.
Try not to eat all of the batter at this point.
Scoop in 1/4 cup amounts on a cookie sheet (it will make about six this way). I wanted mine smaller but they thin out/crisp up better in 1/4 cup increments. Bake for 18-20 minutes until the tops 'crack'.


I feel better now mom.

Chocolate Espresso Cookies

Ingredients
  • 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces (recommended: Ghirardelli)
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1/3 cup dark chocolate-covered espresso beans
  • 1 cup flour
  • 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs, at room temperature
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (recommended: Nestle Toll House)
Directions

Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats. Set aside.
In a small bowl, combine the chocolate and butter. Place the bowl over a pan of barely simmering water and stir occasionally until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth.
In the bowl of a food processor, finely chop the chocolate covered espresso beans. In a medium bowl, whisk together the chopped espresso beans, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
In another medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs, water, and vanilla extract. Gradually add the dry ingredients and stir until thick and smooth. Fold in the melted chocolate. Stir in the chocolate chips. Using a cookie or ice cream scoop, scoop level 1/4 cupfuls of the batter onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake until slightly puffed and the tops begin to crack, 18 to 20 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool completely on the baking sheets and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Leave me a comment!

What do you want to see more of on 'Model Eats Blog?'